If you have a swimming pool at home and you’re considering closing it off in a modest manner, then having a glass fence is just the way to go. Glass fencing is one of the most attractive of all fencing systems. It can be used anywhere. It looks sophisticated and modern. There is no need to limit the use to people who have pools at home.
Before you get it installed though, it would be good to learn more about it. Like any kind of materials, it would have its pros and cons. In this article, you will learn about the positive and negative side of having a glass fence.
With or Without Frames
If you’re set on having a glass fence, the next step is to choose if you want it with frame or without. Frameless fence means there is nothing between each glass panel that can block your view. While a glass fence with frames makes use of wood or metal railing between each panel. Because frameless glass fence needs thicker glass, it is automatically more expensive.
Let’s Begin with the Pros
- Enjoy the View – A glass railing system gives you 100% visibility. Wherever it is you install it, you get to see everything outside. If you are using it to enclose your pool, you can see out of the pool and into the pool area.
- Strength – Most frameless glass fence are made from tempered glass that is held in place by stainless steel set in concrete. It is very strong. In fact, it is about six times stronger than other types of glass. If you are living in a place with extreme weather, your fence breaking into pieces should be the least of your worries.
- It makes your space look big – it has the effect of enlarging your area. If you are working with a great designer, they would know the technique of integrating the look outside with the features inside.
- Low Maintenance – It is not hard to clean. All you need is soap and water to make it look like new.
- Great for a swimming pool – Because glass is resistant to chemicals used in a swimming pool, unlike other materials, this is the best choice. It also provides the feeling of safety because you get to see what’s happening when little children are swimming.
What about the Cons?
- Cost– It is not the cheapest option for fencing. In fact, if you choose frameless glass fencing, It can go up to three times more than the other types.
- Birds and Bees- This may not be the first concern, but wildlife can’t always see it. Some birds don’t see it there and it can fly right into it. We don’t want to injure or worse, unintentionally kill it!
- Scratches – Any type of glass can scratch if you don’t maintain it properly. Try not to clean it with any scrubby pad. The people who you will buy the glass from will likely give you pointers on how to clean it. Make sure to follow them.
- The constant reminder to people not to lean on it. Gentle leaning s fine but the heart attack it gives the homeowner whenever this happens is just not worth it.
- Installation – This kind of installation is just not advised as a DIY project. It is very challenging. Glass panels are measured specifically and is made to order so the installation has to be done by professionals so there’s less risk of going wrong.
If you are on a tight budget, there is the option to use plexiglass. The reason why it is not as expensive as the others are because it is not as durable as the others. Maintenance is necessary because, over time, the glass transforms to cloudy. Some people also say that it easily scratches when cleaned often.
But if you are looking for a more durable option, choose glass railing systems like Invisirail. Not only will you add aesthetic value to your property, but significantly raise its market value as well.